Saturday, January 26, 2008

"Though I cry, 'I've been wronged!' I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice. (Job 19:7)

So... off we went - on a late coach at 6.30.a.m. and then found it very difficult to get to Park Lane, London because so many coaches were trying to get there. We arrived in Park Lane a little late but the march had not started. One man from Staffordshire Police came up to me - looking up at ominous grey skies and said "Ask the big guy to keep the rain off us Padre!" so I did - and He did. As the march began for us - somewhereabout half a mile from the front - we made sure our white caps were on straight - there were a few cheers and applause and off we went. It was stop and start for the first quarter mile or so but then we began to walk a little more quickly.
Along the sealed off streets, Londoners passed by on the pavements - the vast majority paying not the slightest attention - as if they had seen it all before. But I doubt it. Twenty six thousand police officers (and a few like me) walked in almost total silence, the only sound was desultory conversation and the shuffle of feet. Strange and impressive - but not to the Home Office staff as we passed by who had clearly vacated their building and where no Home Secretary waited to greet the men and women passing by because of her perverse decision. So we ended the march near the Tate Gallery and then strolled up to Parliament Square which was already thronged with white baseball cap-wearing officers. Where were all the MP's who signed the Early Day motion? Were they there to greet us. Absolutely not! And so we went home.
Naturally this made me reflect. All those people has felt it right to go and march - but so few expected a change of heart on the part of the government and the Home Secretary - but they still went. I honour these men and women, many giving up a day off, some coming straight from the night shift, who showed such comittment and dedication and behaved with such decorum, wisdom and integrity. I wish I could feel the same sense of admiration for those elected people in whom these public servants of ours had put their trust. And it made me feel a little like Job in his despair... and I can't as yet see how this will come good. But I am glad I was there!

No comments: