Thursday, December 13, 2007

More Ecumenism (in the real sense of Oikumene)

A couple of weeks ago I had a request to help sort out the 'Holy Books' of various religious groups so that they can be made available to prisoners who declare a faith and wish to have access to their own Holy Books/Scriptures etc while in police custody. I was gratefeul for the Mid Shropshire Branch of Gideons coming up with a number of NIV (Hotel Bibles and NT and Psalms) without any delay but as I began to think about other groups I began to realise that this was a fairly substantial project.

I spoke, for the first time, to the Bishop of the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and he agreed to provide me with a Book of Mormon and an AV of the Holy Bible which is the only one that they use. I rang the Local Jehovah's Witnesses who invite me to call at the Kingdom Hall and collect an interlinear translation of the Bible. All these people knew exactly who and what I am and were most cooperative.

But it's made me reflect... For several years I have been involved as a founder member and press/pubicity person for the local Interfaith Group. During that time I have formed lasting and close friendships with Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus and discovered and developed a healthy respect for the way in which they pursue and adhere to their faith walks.

I have yet to meet the Mormon Bishop or the leaders from the Kingdom Hall, but they all sound absolutely genuine and really nice people. Why then is there that part of me that readily accepts that I can be good friends with people of distinct non-Christian faiths but stumbles at the thought of being friends with those are dancing around the edges of the faith which I follow and to which I adhere?

I have delivered the traditional Christian Scriptures to the Custody Suite and the Qu'ran has been supllied by a leading local Muslim. But I have to confess I have yet to collect the other books I mentioned. But I am definitely going to do it...

I can't keep putting if off - can I? Answers on a post card etc....

No comments: