Monday, March 31, 2008

Put on the whole armour of God... (Ephesians 6:11)

Last week I spent a morning at one of the Regional Public Order Training Centres. I hasten to add that I attended only as an observer. There were the usual quizzical looks from officers from my own force and also from the various other forces that were present. Some of the officers present were there for the very first time - and there were others who were old hands at this kind of training. There were some 'aha's' from police officers who remembered me from years back and some lamp-swinging chats as we recalled mutual acquaintances and colleagues.

During the course of the morning - from my vantage point above their heads I saw row after row of police officers fire-bombed and walk almost nonchalantly through the flames with ever increasing confidence in their high-tech fireproof clothing. I reflected that nearly 20 years had elapsed since the last time I had presented myself for such training at this same venue and which then had only just opened. I also remembered the confidence that such training had given me in the protection provided and how much ammunition it gave me to preach at churches all over the West Midlands on the 'Armour of God' often dressing up in the kit to visualise the matter more effectively.

But one thing had changed - when I was trained with long and short shields the instructors and colleagues on the 'other side' for the day hurled blocks of wood at us. Nowadays 'Health & Safety' has intervened and apparently officers might gets splinters if they use wooden blocks - so they use expended PVC baton rounds (see picture) which weigh about 150 grammes and measure about 3" long and about 1" in diameter. Thrown with unerring accuracy they can cause bumps and bruises. They can also put an officer out of the training for the rest of the day. I saw one Inspector take two baton rounds on the chin bouncing off his shield and under his visor. It should not have happened and it was his fault through a moment's inattention. He took it all in good part but it made it painful for him to eat at lunch time.

As I later reflected on this visit I thought that no matter how well we believe we are protected as Christians - and no matter how much we trust in God's armour then all that is needed for it to go wrong is that inattention, that carelessness to which we all from time to time succumb. I also remembered some thoughts from years ago - God has provided such an armoury for us and yet many of us don't even visit His armoury to collect our personal issue equipment. Or maybe we think that we don't need it all and leave the Belt of Truth or the helmet of salvation or those Gospel sandals gathering dust on the shelves. No wonder so many Christian people get bumped and bruised and even fall under the baton rounds that the world throws at them - but God is not to blame...

No comments: