Friday, October 26, 2007

The Depth of the Water?

Several weeks ago a member of staff at the police station wrote to me asking about getting their child (not a baby) christened. There are some special reasons for their not having sought a christening before and for seeking it now.

And this made me reflect...
1. There are going to be some occasions when people want a 'service' without knowing what they really want.
2. They may have some unusual notions about 'christening'.
3. I mustn't use this to promote my own theology of baptism although I am duty bound (am I?) to explain what I see as the difference between infant and believers (adult?) baptism.
4. I must be prepared to faciltate whatever it is that is desired by the family.
5. Whatever - it is a great opportunity and privilege to get to know this family.

And this made me act...
1. I made an appoinment to see the enquirer.
2. I spoke to an Anglican colleague who said that she would be happy to do a 'christening' if that was what was desired by the family.

I also reflected on the story related to me by a Baptist minister colleague who was a full time hospital chaplain. On one occasion a newly-born baby was critically ill and close to death. He was the only chaplain on duty and was approached by the parents to baptise their dying baby.
What's a Baptist minister to do under these circumstances - engage them with the finer points of Baptist churchmanship? I think not - and neither did he.

"People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. "Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy." (Luke 18:16)

1 comment:

Doodler said...

This is an interesting point and goes right to the heart of what it means to be a "Chaplain" to / ?in a secular organisation.

I think we have three basic roles

Firstly to be a PASTOR - to be with and alongside those who need our care irrespecive of any considerations of faith or lack of it.

Secondly to be a PROPHET - to be prepared to confront what we believe to be wrong and to be a critical friend. This may mean making ourselves unpopular - but most OT prophets knew all about that!

Thirdly to be PRIEST - to be the cultic "enabler" as and when needed to help others through the rites of passage and in their spiritual journeyings - wherever that may be leading them.

Your dilemma asks the question about how we may reconcile our own denominational theologies with the demands made by bthose who do not understand the nicities!

Did you Baptist hospital chaplain baptise the baby? How would he have felt if a (say) Anglican or Roman Catholic Chaplain had baptised the child of one of his Baptist flock?

I shall have to give this even more consideration!



What about multi-faith chaplaincy?